Survial Books Logo

Welcome to Guides for Living, Working, Retiring, & Buying Property Abroad

Do You Need a Permit or Visa?

Posted on: 16th Jan 2015

Before making any plans to live abroad, you must ensure that you will be permitted to freely enter and leave a country, live there as long as you wish and become a resident, and do anything else you have in mind, such as work as self-employed, start a business or buy a home. For example, a national of a European Union (EU) country can live and work in any other EU country, although there's no automatic right to a residence permit and retirees must meet minimum income levels. Similarly, unless you're a citizen of Canada or the USA, you won't be permitted to live in North America for longer than three months a year without an appropriate permit or visa.

            If there's a possibility that you or any family member may wish to live abroad permanently, you should enquire whether it will be possible before making any plans. In some countries the rules and regulations governing permits and visas change frequently, therefore it's important to obtain up?to?date information from an embassy or consulate in your home country.

            Permit infringements are taken seriously by the authorit?ies in all countries and there are penalties for breaches of regulations, including fines and even deportation for flagrant abuses. 

            Further information is available in our Living and Working series of books.


comments powered by Disqus